A better UI/UX for NeoLoader

abel
Site User

A better UI/UX for NeoLoader

Postby abel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:40 am

well, I'm not a graphic designer by profession, but i think i can give some suggestions to improve the usability of the client.

The option "GUI mode" is great, but i think we can do better by improving the icons and the interaction with the user.

I created a few mockups to give you an idea of how to change some aspects.

The new main interface:
iqh7uQUzk5FnS.png

- Big icons, flat, simple, without chrome and shadows, where the icon mean or remind what the label says.
- Only one Progress Bar on top to report ongoing operations (hashing, search, starting in progress, closing in progress...)
- Menu Bar useless. Many items can be placed inside More button. For closing NL there is X button on the right upper corner.
- Status Bar useless. For display only important messages, a notification dialog (with autohide) will be better.
- The views are organized on the tree on the left side.
- The options are organized in the space at the top.
- Grabbers / Searches / Player in the left are redundant, so you can make it unclickable. Only list of results will be clickable.

A search bar "intelligent" and clearly visible. The research is the lung of a p2p client, so it must have more space.
When the user get the focus on the search bar, the view changes automatically for showing additional settings and the list of searches:
iqh7uQUzk5FnS.png

iqh7uQUzk5FnS.png

It makes no sense to add an icon for each type of link .... only one BIG ADD icon: D
The next window allows you to decide on the type of link to add (ed2k, collection, torrent, magnet, loaded from the HD, grabber).
iqh7uQUzk5FnS.png

MORE contains LESS (:-P) used options (and for this they are grouped), and needs to be "smart", show options only if required by the view. We will see "twitter" and "about", but we will not see "clean completed" if we are in the statistics, or Open WebUI if we are already in Browser .... and so on.
iqh7uQUzk5FnS.png

Just my 2 cents. ;-)
Attachments
iFNrWEn2nnNlx.png
ileTGCQnqjGqd.png
izND82fnbc49F.png
iNpltY5Zo01zm.png

Neo26
Site User

Postby Neo26 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Is just my opinion but I really don't like this kind of interface....

abel
Site User

Postby abel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Why ? And all or only something? :-)

What do you think about present icons, that IMHO are too small and unreadable?

What is the correlation between an icon with clapperboard and "share" or "grabber" (NeoLoader is not a VideoPlayer!) ?

What do you think about search bar in the upper right corner that have same options (in the down arrow) that are already in the Search window?

Don't you think that a single window for pasting all kinds of link is better that 3 different windows? :-)

DavidXanatos
Site Admin

Postby DavidXanatos » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Looks awesome, how have you made the mockup?

With some graphic program or is it it the GUI of some actual programming language?
Live free or die trying!

abel
Site User

Postby abel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Home - Pencil Project

I used the default icons only to give you an idea, but of course you can create your own personal icons (with Photoshop or any) using the same "style" (big, flat, no shadow, cleaned, etc.). Unfortunately, i've no this skill, so i can't help you more than this. :-(

Neo26
Site User

Postby Neo26 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:59 am

I'm sorry but I don't like everything in this UI :(

For me, the one actually in neoloader with % overlayed in old progressbar (files and clients) like some emule mods is perfect.

abel
Site User

Postby abel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

There are any news for this request?
Can you submit the GUI to an expert/skilled of graphics/UX/UI, if you know, or to the community, hoping that someone collaborate?

DavidXanatos
Site Admin

Postby DavidXanatos » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:00 am

well,
a skilled expert will want money I'm affraid.
and the community here seams rather small...

if you can find someone who would want to help us with the gui for free that would be great.

Or we could get some quotations from experts and start a kick starter campaign for the money
Live free or die trying!

abel
Site User

Postby abel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:54 pm

We must not give up before trying.

I do not know, but i tried to do it by myself and provide a "modern" version, with some suggestions as a starting point.
No change in this direction?

A first step would be to try the Usability Hallway Testing over the current version.
Try to asking "add a collection and get file inside it", "download an http link from hosting", "do a search for a video file", "add a file in sharing", etc etc ... and record the random user behavior. These are the first feedback from which to start.
I am sure that with this version they will have a lot of problems to perform those actions.

If you deploy a public "mediocre" and not "usable" version, you will have lost forever the new users. The FIRST is the only installation that counts, not the version 0.80 or 2.0.
No matter how much code there is under the hood, but what the user sees the first time. ;-)

Neo26
Site User

Postby Neo26 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:00 pm

We're still interested to any UI improvement suggestion but a total rework is not planned at the moment.

Return to “Feature Requests”