Remove Reset/Apply button

abel
Site User

Remove Reset/Apply button

Postby abel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:05 am

I think the Reset/Apply buttons are very useless, and related to a scenario that [color="#FF0000"]we don't have[/color].

If i change filename, rating, decription or settings fields, i can turn back at any time by changing the fields again, so user input is not enought critical to require a "confirmation button" (no Apply button needed).
Also, the name Apply is a bad choice (Apply != Ok):
User Interface Text
Provide an Apply button only if the property sheet has settings (at least one) with effects that users can evaluate in a meaningful way. Typically, Apply buttons are used when settings make visible changes. Users should be able to apply a change, evaluate the change, and make further changes based on that evaluation.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/userexperience/conceptual/applehiguidelines/Windows/Windows.html
Provide an Apply button when it makes sense. An Apply button can be appropriate in a dialog that displays multiple settings that affect the user’s view of data. In this situation, an Apply button allows the user to preview the effect of the selected settings without committing to the changes.

Be cautious about using an Apply button for operations that take a long time to implement or undo; it might not be obvious to users that they can interrupt or reverse the process. In particular, save dialogs or dialogs that allow users to make changes that can’t be previewed easily should not include an Apply button.

Don’t use an Apply button to mean the same thing as the OK button. In particular, clicking an Apply button should not dismiss a dialog because the user should first decide whether to accept the previewed changes (by clicking OK) or to reject them (by clicking Cancel). When the user dismisses the dialog without clicking OK, all previewed changes should be discarded.

Also, there are no action that a user can't undo, and many fields have already the "default" value so they can be restored at any time (no Reset button needed).

I suggest to remove these buttons and save automagically the changes when Text item looses Focus.

(BTW, i don't see any change after Reset)

DavidXanatos
Site Admin

Postby DavidXanatos » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:14 am

When you change the filename and hit reste instead of apply the chang in th eedit box will be undone.

you are right that apply should be ok

nut sure about removing them entierly though
Live free or die trying!

abel
Site User

Postby abel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Ok, but when i change the filename, i can turn back at any time (eventually, before loosing focus) because the original name is in the transfer window, at top.
And, anyway, if this is the only use, the Reset button is placed [color="#FF0000"]in a wrong place[/color] (in fact, i did not understood what it doing!).
This is an interesting solution: Edit fiddle - JSFiddle
Clear / Reset button inside textfield, where Reset restore original filename. Button is related to target , because inside or near it.

The OK button, as explained, doesn't commits any critical operation. Why do I have to confirm 2 times if i can go back or change it at any time?
Don't annoy the user asking him to confirm everything, if it can change at any time without "breaking" anything.

DavidXanatos
Site Admin

Postby DavidXanatos » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:17 pm

I removed the reset/apply buttons, the changes will be present in the next release
Live free or die trying!

abel
Site User

Postby abel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Only for Ratings in Details tab , because changes are not local but they end in the Net, namely a weakly critical function:

to avoid sending the rating too early on the network (if i lose focus erroneously, i would like to change it BEFORE Neo send it, to avoid flooding network with incomplete or wrong messages), you can try to delay sending a few tens of seconds (30''?) after focus, to figure out if the user changes the score again or leave that.
Or you can try a solution like uTorrent, with the Submit button in a panel that contains all the options for rating.

So it is more clear.

DavidXanatos
Site Admin

Postby DavidXanatos » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:35 am

ok ........
Live free or die trying!

Return to “Feature Requests”