Client Identification

abel
Site User

Client Identification

Postby abel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:05 am

With latest release 0.39, if i've seen correctly, there is a new option "client identification" below ed2k/emule section. what is the meaning of the entries?

- random hash
- static hash
- secure random hash
- secure hash

:-)

Neo26
Site User

Postby Neo26 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:21 am

Random hash will generate a new userhash at every neoloader start (if I'm not going wrong), while static hash will generate one at first run and will never change.

With "Secure" we use the SUI system, this mean that our hash can't be cloned by other clients.

DavidXanatos
Site Admin

Postby DavidXanatos » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:03 pm

In random mode The hash will not be changed on each start only of the offline period was > 6 hours.

Also the hash used in static secure (SUI) mode is not the same as used in normal static mode.
Meaning switching between normal static and secure static will not cause the client to be mistaken by others as a fake.

The feature was added due to not confirmed reports that a significant portion of releaser mods punish clients that don't have SUI.

Now this can be tested in the wild, if the portion really is significant, or if it is negligible and.

David X.
Live free or die trying!

DavidXanatos
Site Admin

Postby DavidXanatos » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:35 pm

There was a request to put the hash mode selection into the first start wizard,
what is your opinion on the subject?
Live free or die trying!

Neo26
Site User

Postby Neo26 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:39 pm

My opinion is yes, it should stay in the security window because is like any other security setting such as ipfilter and trackers.

Totally random hash helps to avoid tracking and static with sui is the reverse... is totally security related!

In fact, you did not added this because care about credits... and is clearly specificated that use the static SUI is not recommended because dangerous.

abel
Site User

Postby abel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Should not be added in the 1st wizard. The average user does not know (and should not know) the meaning of SUI and userhash, so he can't choose.
I think the secure random hash is the default right choice, so you can avoid the ban / score reduction of some mod , and avoid tracking of userhash.

DavidXanatos
Site Admin

Postby DavidXanatos » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:54 pm

abel wrote:Should not be added in the 1st wizard. The average user does not know (and should not know) the meaning of SUI and userhash, so he can't choose.
I think the secure random hash is the default right choice, so you can avoid the ban / score reduction of some mod , and avoid tracking of userhash.

That sounds really reasonable.

I think I'll add in the wizard page a slider with 3 implicit options

Client Trackability for other P2P Networks

Minimized Mediocer Unrestricted

Minimized: Random Hash with SUI, No Torrent Trackers
Mediocer: Random Hash with SUI, Torrent Trackers
Unrestricted: Static Hash with SUI, Torrent Trackers

Mediocer would be the default preset
Live free or die trying!

Neo26
Site User

Postby Neo26 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:10 pm

The default preset will be minimized, right?

Mhhh... SUI in all 3 choices...

abel
Site User

Postby abel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:16 pm

it's a good trade off.
However, i suggest the simple words Low, Medium, High instead of Minimized, Mediocre, Unrestricted. ;-)

DavidXanatos
Site Admin

Postby DavidXanatos » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Default would be the middle:
Random Hash with SUI, Torrent Trackers

Yes all 3 are with SUI.

>Low, Medium, High
good idea

In case I add ed2k server support, the settings for trackers will be the same as for servers, though with the difference that no ed2k server will be preset, so without additional user intervention (adding some servers to list manually) no server connection will be established.

Cheers
David X.
Live free or die trying!

Return to “Support”